Freedom Updates
Advocates in Action
Press Release | Church Under Attack for Lawful Ballot Collection
Press Release | Church Under Attack for Lawful Ballot Collection
ADVOCATES FOR FAITH & FREEDOM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: mONDAY, nOVEMBER 25, 2024
CONTACT: Nicole Velasco
NVELASCO@FAITH-FREEDOM.COM
Red Bluff, CA – Earlier this month, Pastor Greg Phelps and his church, Calvary Chapel Red Bluff, became the target of misleading allegations and sensationalist media coverage following their participation in lawful ballot collection during the recent election. The church, like many others, offered its congregation a convenient way to exercise their voting rights in full compliance with California’s laws. Despite this, media outlets such as the SF Gate have unfairly sought to paint this civic-minded initiative as questionable or improper.
The facts tell a different story. After meeting with the Tehama County District Attorney and Registrar of Voters, it was unequivocally confirmed that no laws were broken, no case exists, and there is no pending investigation. Pastor Phelps and his church strictly adhered to the legal procedures established by the state, which explicitly allows organizations, including churches, to engage in ballot collection. These laws, originally championed by progressive lawmakers, were designed to improve voter participation and accessibility.
“Churches like ours exist to serve the community, and that includes empowering our congregation to participate in the democratic process,” said Pastor Greg Phelps. “We just want to serve our people and positively affect our community. We will not be silenced or deterred by those who seek to distort our intentions.”
The media’s attacks are emblematic of a broader trend to vilify faith-based organizations that engage in lawful, civic-minded activities. These baseless accusations are not just a disservice to the church but also an attack on the democratic principles that ballot collection laws were designed to protect.
It is imperative to highlight that ballot collection is entirely legal and serves as a critical service to those unable to deliver their ballots directly. By following the law and fostering participation, the church demonstrated its commitment to civic engagement and the betterment of its community.
“Faith-based organizations must not be pressured or intimidated into abandoning their constitutionally protected rights,” said Advocates attorney, Robert Tyler. “The law applies equally to all groups, whether secular or religious, and these unfounded attacks against churches simply exercising their legal rights must come to an end.”
###
Advocates for Faith & Freedom is a non-profit law firm dedicated to protecting constitutional and religious liberty in the courts. Our mission is to engage in cases that will uphold our religious liberty and America’s heritage and to educate Americans about our fundamental constitutional rights.
Federal Judge Denies School District’s Motion to Dismiss Teacher’s First Amendment Retaliation Case
Press Release
ADVOCATES FOR FAITH & FREEDOM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2024
CONTACT: Nicole Velasco at
media@faith-freedom.COM
Federal Judge Denies School District’s Motion to Dismiss Teacher’s First Amendment Retaliation Case
For Immediate Release, Los Angeles, CA – On Friday, in a significant win for free speech rights within the public education system, a federal judge has denied the Glendale Unified School District’s (GUSD) motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought by Ray Shelton, a fifth-grade teacher at Mark Keppel Visual and Performing Arts Elementary School. Mr. Shelton’s lawsuit, which challenges alleged retaliation by GUSD officials following his public criticism of district policies, will proceed in federal court.
The court’s decision underscores the importance of First Amendment protections for educators, particularly their right to speak freely on public matters without fear of reprisal. Mr. Shelton, a teacher with years of service to GUSD, filed suit after being placed on administrative leave and barred from campus following his comments at a school board meeting. At the meeting, he expressed concerns about new district policies, which he argued undermined parental rights and posed potential safety risks.
“This ruling sends a strong message that no educator should be defamed for expressing an opinion that challenges the woke narrative,” said Advocates attorney, Kelly Chang Rickert. “Our clients have a right to openly discuss policies that affect students, families, and communities. We look forward to demonstrating that educators, like all Americans, deserve the right to speak their beliefs without fear of retaliation.”
In her decision, U.S. District Judge Consuelo B. Marshall found that Mr. Shelton’s claims regarding free speech and retaliation were substantial enough to proceed to the next stages of litigation. Judge Marshall’s ruling rejects the district’s position that it acted within its rights, affirming instead that teachers’ First Amendment protections extend to matters of public concern discussed in public forums.
Represented by The Pivtorak Law Firm and Advocates for Faith and Freedom, Mr. Shelton’s lawsuit now advances with claims that include viewpoint discrimination and retaliation, citing the district’s alleged attempts to silence his dissenting voice through disciplinary action. In addition to seeking damages, Mr. Shelton requests that the court issue an injunction to prevent further retaliation and ensure district policies comply with constitutional standards.
The case, now set for discovery and pre-trial proceedings, is being closely watched by educators, civil rights advocates, and community leaders as it raises critical questions about the boundaries of free expression within the educational system.
Election Integrity Project California Takes Bold Action in Court to Defend Secure and Transparent Elections
Press Release
ADVOCATES FOR FAITH & FREEDOM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: thursday, NOVEMBER 14, 2024
CONTACT: Nicole Velasco at
media@faith-freedom.COM
Election Integrity Project California Takes Bold Action in Court to Defend Secure and Transparent Elections
For Immediate Release, Murrieta, CA – On Tuesday, the Superior Court ruled on an Ex Parte Application filed by the Election Integrity Project California (“EIPCa”), represented by our firm, requesting an expedited hearing on the merits of its petition for peremptory writ of mandate. EIPCa is seeking decisive judicial action to address critical issues in the administration of California’s recent elections. The application calls on the court to issue a ruling before December 5, 2024, to ensure that election procedures align with EIPCa’s commitment to ensure fair elections as well as voter trust and integrity.
EIPCa’s petition names the California Secretary of State and election officials from several counties, including Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside, Kern, and Tulare. The petition challenges the adequacy of election oversight and highlights each county’s role in maintaining voter rolls, processing ballots, and reporting results. EIPCa believes this oversight is essential to addressing procedural inconsistencies and maintaining Californians’ faith in the election process.
“EIPCa remains committed to safeguarding Californian citizen’s constitutional right to free, fair, honest and transparent elections,” said Linda Paine, President of EIPCa. “By ensuring accurate voter rolls and integrity in the processing and counting of ballots, EIPCa continues to empower citizens through education and oversight of the election process with the goal of restoring integrity to the election process.”
“For too long, systemic election concerns have gone unaddressed, but this petition is a positive step toward reform,” stated Advocates attorney, Robert Tyler. “Our legal team is prepared to continue advocating for election integrity across the state.”
EIPCa has requested that the Court appoint a special master to oversee each respondent’s actions to ensure adherence to legal election processes. The Court is considering the request but has noted that it must first hear any opposition filed by the Respondents by Friday, November 15. Given the urgency of these issues, the Court has declined to set a hearing date on shortened notice but will consider the request based solely on the submitted briefs. This streamlined process ensures that the petition’s claims will be addressed promptly.
###
